For a truly unique Florida-inspired dish, we are looking to our main man, Florida Chef Justin Timineri, for a recipe using some pretty fantastic “Fresh from Florida” ingredients. The recipe for sweet corn and chorizo sausage stuffed clams brings the best of land and sea for a savory bite.
Fresh from Florida: Stuffed Clams
Sweet Corn & Chorizo Sausage Stuffed Clams
Serves 4 to 6
- 24 to 30 medium-sized live clams, rinsed
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- ¼ cup jack cheese, shredded
- 1 link chorizo sausage, diced small
- 1 red bell pepper, diced small
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 small onion, diced small
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- Oil for cooking
- Sea salt to taste
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
- Fill a medium-sized stockpot halfway with water.
- Place stockpot on the stove over medium-high heat and bring to a boil.
- Lightly salt the water in the stockpot.
- When a boil is reached, add the live clams to the pot.
- Cook the clams until they just start to open.
- Drain the clams in a colander; run cold water over them until they are cooled off.
- Discard any unopened clams.
- Let clams drain well and place them in the refrigerator until later.
- Preheat a medium sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add 1 teaspoon of oil to the preheated pan.
- Add the diced onions and chorizo sausage to the preheated pan.
- Cook the onions and chorizo until the onions are translucent and the chorizo is golden brown.
- Add the bell pepper, corn and chili powder to the pan.
- Continue to cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Season the ingredients in the pan lightly with salt and pepper.
- Remove ingredients from heat and add them to a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- To the mixing bowl, add cornmeal, cheese, cilantro, egg and ¼ cup of water.
- Mix ingredients thoroughly; add a little more water if necessary so the stuffing is moist.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Remove cooked clams from the refrigerator.
- Open up each shell the rest of the way so they can be stuffed.
- Place an even amount of stuffing in each shell.
- Place stuffed shells in a baking dish.
- Place the baking dish of stuffed clams on the center rack of the oven.
- Bake clams for 7 to 12 minutes or until heated throughout.
- Remove clams from oven and serve immediately.
Recipe and image courtesy of chef Justin Timineri and Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services.